Botanical Name : Alpinia Calcarata
English Name : Lesser Galangal
Tamil Name : சித்தரத்தை / Chitharathai , Sitharathai
Hindi Name : कुलंजन / Kulanjan
Malayalam Name : ചിറ്റരത്ത , കോലിഞ്ചി / Chittaratha, Kolinchi
Telugu Name : దుంపరాష్ట్రకము / dumparaashtrakamu
About Chitharathai ( Lesser Galangal ):-
Chitarathai is native to India, leaves dull dark green, lighter undersides. White with yellow and red variegated fragrant flowers resembling snapdragons. It has very narrow foliage and stems and is a prolific plant. The medium size white and red flowers are attractive and appear on upright inflorescences. Chitharathai has nice reedy foliage but there is not much else going for it. This will only bloom on second year growth. A herbaceous plant which grows up to 1.5 m height. Leaves are green, glossy, long and narrow, 15-30 cm long and 2.5-5 cm broad. Rhizomes narrowly oblong, much branched and grow horizontally in the soil. Corolla segments are yellowish white and streaked with purple veins.Leaves, flowers and rhizomes are aromatic.
Internal Benefits of Chitharathai ( Lesser Galangal ):-
• Digestive and respiratory ailments in infants and children
• Rheumatic ailments
• Digestive problems
• Cough, headache, fever and indigestion
• Increases sperm count.
External Benefits of Chitharathai (Lesser Galangal):-
How to Consume Chitharathai (Lesser Galangal) Internally:-
• Chitharathai for Cough: For cough with sputum, a piece of rhizome of this plant is slowly chewed. This is also good for vomiting issues.
•Chitharathai for Infants and children : For all sorts of digestive and respiratory ailments in infants and children, this rhizome is baked or heated and given after mixing with honey and breast milk.
• Chitharathai for Rheumatic Ailments :1 to 3 gram of powder of this rhizome is administered thrice daily for rheumatic ailments.
• Chitharathai for Digestive Problems :For digestive problems, 1 to 5 grams of powder of this rhizome can be administered twice daily before food.
• Chitharathai for Headache and Fever: Athimathuram, Thaleesapathri, Arathai and Thippili can be powdered, mixed in equal quantity and given along with honey for cough, headache, fever and indigestion.
• Chitharathai for Increase in Sperm Count :Recent research on this plant have proved that regular administration of powder or decoction of this rhizome increases sperm count and acts as an Aphrodisiac.
How to Apply Chitharathai (Lesser Galangal) Externally:-
Procurement & Agriculture Method:
90% of Our Herbs are Wild crops and 100% organic by nature, remaining 10% are organically grown, dried, and pulverized with no chemical or preservatives.
The Consumption details and benefits listed out in our website are taken from Tamil ancient books and Siddha records, as well as its been further fine tuned by our Siddha Doctors Team. Any how you are requested to consult your Doctor before use.