Botanical Name : Acorus Calamus
English Name : Calamus/ Sweet Flag
Tamil Name : வசம்பு / Vasambu
Hindi Name : वाचा /अकरावेसि / अक्कितम/ अर्पकेसी / अर्पकेसु || vacha /akaraveci / Akkitam / Arpakeci / Arpakecu
Malayalam Name : വഷണപ / വയമ്പു / വയമ്പ് || Vashanapa, Vayambhu, Vayambu
Telugu Name : వెదజ / వస / వ్యాస || Vadaja/ Vasa/ Wasa
About Vasambu (Calamus/ Sweet Flag) :-
Vasambu is a magic herb and has amazing health benefits and uses. It is also known as ‘Pillai Valarpan’ or ‘Pillai Marunthu’ in Tamil Nadu as it helps mothers to raise their infants and babies without illness.
Vasambu is called Sweet Flag in English. Usually a piece of vasambu is tied to the babies hand, so that when the babies suck on that piece of vasambu they won’t have any stomach ailments. Vasambu also stores well and can be stored in the pantry for almost a year.
Sweet flag is a perennial herb, 30 to 100 cm tall. In habit it resembling the Iris. It consists of tufts of basal leaves that rise from a spreading rhizome. The leaves are erect yellowish-green, radical, with pink sheathing at their bases, sword-shaped, flat and narrow, tapering into a long, acute point, and have parallel veins. The leaves have smooth edges, which can be wavy or crimped.
Internal Benefits of Vasambu (Calamus/ Sweet Flag) :-
- Vasambu helps to get rid of all gastric problems.
- It stimulating aroma rejuvenates the brain and the nervous system.
- It is also effective against digestive disorders.
- Baby nutrition problems and baby sleep problems are the most common problems in newborns.
- Remedy for acid re-flux, loose motion, hair removal, and flatulence. The other stomach problems like indigestion, stomach, loss of appetite can also be cured with the herb extracts.
External Benefits of Vasambu (Calamus / Sweet Flag):-
- Vasambu for Bed bug and insects: Vasambu helps to protect our houses from various insects, bed bugs, cockroaches, mites. You can sprinkle vasambu powder under the bed and corners of cupboards. If you have kids in your home, better to tie it in a cloth tightly and place it.
- Vasambu for dandruff lice and hair growth: Vasambu is a very good natural herb for dandruff and lice problem. Add vasambu powder with your shikakai powder and apply it on your hair
- Vasambu for skin: Is used for skin infections, allergies and rashes. It is also used in making massage oil.
- Morning – Mix 5 gms of powder in 100 ml water, Boil the content for few minutes. once the water gets warm, filter the content and drink it before food. Repeat the same for Evening Dosage after dinner.
- Vasambu benefits for babies: If the baby is suffering from loose motions then the paste made with Acorus Calamus is mixed with honey and given to baby as a treatment.
- Vasambu for newborn uses: Vasambu root beads (Pl check our “New Born Baby kit under Heritage Products) bangle is used for babies. When the infant smells the smell of the root the problems of indigestion and vomiting are get cured.
- Vasambu for speech: Even the smell of vasambu helps babies to talk earlier and to get rid of speech problems.
How to consume Vasambu (Calamus / Sweet Flag) Externally :–
- Vasambu for pimples: Vasambu root powder with turmeric cure pimples and acne problems.
- Vasambu for dandruff: This medicinal herb is used in treating dandruff problem in ayurveda.
- Vasambu for making kajal | Vasambu Pottu: Burn vasambu till it turns to black color. Swipe it with water and make a paste like kajal consistency. You can apply it as a bindi on forehead, cheeks and feet. Some people apply this paste around baby’s navel to cure stomach problems.
Procurement & Agriculture Method:-
90% of Our Herbs are Wild crops and 100% organic by nature, remaining 10% are organically grown, dried, and pulverized with no chemical or preservatives.
The Consumption details and benefits listed out in our website are taken from Tamil ancient books and Siddha records, as well as its been further fine tuned by our Siddha Doctors Team. Any how you are requested to consult your Doctor before use.